Company delivers two quarters of positive adjusted EBITDA, and meets all 2018 guidance for Bookings Growth, Revenue, Gross Margin and Adjusted EBITDA
Conference Call Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. ET
Minneapolis, March 5, 2019 – Qumu Corporation (NASDAQ: QUMU) today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2018. The Company reported fourth quarter revenue of $6.9 million, positive basic earnings per share, net income of $48,000 and adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, of $130,000, ending the year with cash of $8.6 million.
“Qumu delivered on our financial guidance for 2018, marking two consecutive years of positive annual contract value growth, as well as two quarters of positive adjusted EBITDA,” said Vern Hanzlik, Qumu’s President and CEO. “As we continue to transition the company to a recurring revenue model, we are positioned for growth with a strong cash position and sales pipeline, a growing partner channel, and a leadership position with all major analysts who cover our industry. These factors, along with the announcement of our intelligent platform, give us a high degree of confidence in the business as we enter 2019.”
Fourth quarter 2018 revenue was $6.9 million, compared to $7.2 million in the fourth quarter 2017, and net income for the fourth quarter 2018 was $48,000, or $0.01 per basic share, compared to a net loss of $(3.2) million, or $(0.35) per basic share, in the fourth quarter 2017. Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, was $130,000 for the fourth quarter 2018, compared to $(805,000) for the fourth quarter 2017.
For the year ended December 31, 2018, revenue was $25.0 million, compared to $28.2 million last year, and net loss was $(3.6) million, or a loss of $(0.38) per basic share, compared to $(11.7) million, or a loss of $(1.25) per basic share, for 2017. For the year ended December 31, 2018, adjusted EBITDA was $(3.5) million, compared to adjusted EBITDA of $(4.6) million for 2017. The 2018 net loss included a $6.6 million gain on the third quarter 2018 sale of the Company’s investment in BriefCam, Ltd. and reflected improved operating efficiencies. The year-over-year revenue comparisons were favorably impacted by approximately $778,000 and $201,000 for the three months and year ended December 31, 2018, respectively, due to the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC Topic 606).
Other Financial Highlights
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $8.6 million as of December 31, 2018, compared to $7.7 million as of December 31, 2017 and $8.5 million as of September 30, 2018.
- Operating expenses decreased $719,000 and $3.3 million during the three months and year ended December 31, 2018, respectively, compared to the corresponding 2017 periods, reflecting the impact of the Company’s improved operating efficiencies.
- Software license and appliance revenue was $1.5 million and $2.0 million for the three months ended December 31, 2018 and 2017, respectively, and $5.8 million and $6.0 million for the years ended December 31, 2018 and 2017, respectively.
- Subscription, maintenance and support revenue was $4.9 million and $4.3 million for the three months ended December 31, 2018 and 2017, respectively, and $17.1 million and $19.4 million for the years ended December 31, 2018 and 2017, respectively. The year-over-year revenue comparisons were favorably impacted by $528,000 for the three months ended December 31, 2018 and negatively impacted by $212,000 for the year ended December 31, 2018 due to the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard (ASC Topic 606). Additionally, the loss of a large customer which was previously announced as lost in the fourth quarter 2017, negatively impacted the year-over-year revenue comparisons by $2.4 million for the year ended December 31, 2018.
- Gross margin for the fourth quarter 2018 was 73.1%, compared to 65.7% for the fourth quarter 2017. Gross margin for the year ended December 31, 2018 was 66.0%, compared to 63.6% for the year ended December 31, 2017.
The Company is issuing the following financial guidance for 2019:
- Annual contract value bookings growth is expected to be 20% to 25% in 2019 compared to 2018.
- Revenue for 2019 is expected to be approximately $27 million. Gross margin percentage is expected to be in the high 60s to low 70s.
- Net loss for 2019 is expected to be approximately $(5.1) million. Adjusted EBITDA for 2019 is expected to be approximately $(1.5) million. Forecasted adjusted EBITDA for 2019 excludes forecasted interest expense of approximately $1.0 million, income tax benefit of approximately $(0.2) million, depreciation expense of approximately $0.3 million, amortization of acquired intangible assets of approximately $1.2 million, stock-based compensation of approximately $0.9 million, and increase in warrant liability of approximately $0.4 million.
The Company has scheduled a conference call and webcast to review its fourth quarter and full year 2018 results tomorrow, March 6, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time. The dial-in number for the conference call is 877-456-6914 for domestic participants and 929-387-3794 for international participants. Investors can also access a webcast of the live conference call by linking through the Investor Relations section of the Qumu website. Webcasts will be archived on Qumu’s website.
To supplement the Company’s condensed consolidated financial statements presented on a GAAP basis, the Company uses adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, which excludes certain items from net income (loss), a GAAP measure. Adjusted EBITDA excludes items related to interest income and expense, the impact of income-based taxes, depreciation and amortization, stock-based compensation, change in fair value of warrant liabilities, foreign currency gains and losses, the gain on the sale of the Company’s BriefCam investment, the loss on extinguishment of debt and other non-operating income and expenses.
The Company uses both GAAP and non-GAAP measures when planning, monitoring, and evaluating the Company’s performance. The Company believes that adjusted EBITDA is useful to investors because it provides supplemental information that allows investors to review the Company’s results of operations from the same perspective as management and the Company’s board of directors. Non-GAAP results are presented for supplemental informational purposes only for understanding our operating results. The non-GAAP results should not be considered a substitute for financial information presented in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, and may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies.
See the attached Supplemental Financial Information for a reconciliation of net income (loss), a GAAP measure, to adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, for the three months and year ended December 31, 2018 and 2017.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements contained in this press release that are not statements of historical fact may be deemed to be forward-looking statements. Without limiting the foregoing, words such as “may,” “will,” “expect,” “believe,” “anticipate,” or “estimate” or comparable terminology are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements include, for example, statements about: the Company’s future revenue and operating performance, cash balances, future product mix or the timing of recognition of revenue and the demand for the Company’s products or software. The statements made by the Company are based upon management’s current expectations and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause the actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include the risk factors described in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017 and other factors set forth in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Qumu (Nasdaq: QUMU) is the leading provider of a best-in-class platform to create, manage, secure, distribute and measure the success of live and on demand video for the intelligent enterprise. Backed by the most trusted and experienced team in the industry, the Qumu platform enables global organizations to drive employee engagement, increase access to video, and modernize the workplace by providing a more efficient and effective way to share knowledge.
Chief Financial Officer
Investor Relations Contact:
Matt Glover or Tom Colton
Gateway Investor Relations